[CAM] OT: Swords and what you like to do with them Corydon speaketh

Seng Hang sh1911a1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 08:23:44 CDT 2008

Nice.  I had a chance to swing a blade around with Corydon some years ago
back in his field.  We were cutting weeds I believe.  It was quite fun even
if we were only cutting at the ankles and toes of the enemy (the weeds).
Now corn... I must admit I hadn't thought about corn stalks nor have I
thought of sunflower stalks.  Perhaps I should consider growing some for
cutting targets as surely they're less expensive than tatami and obviously
biodegradable.  I think the only drawback is the wait for them to reach a
point where they're target size.

I too have noticed that proper technique is required in cutting.  I've never
cut down corn stalks or sunflowers but I can say that aside from cutting at
water bottles, if you cut noodles or tatami, proper technique is definitely
required otherwise the chances of simply pushing or deforming the target are
greater than simply cutting through them regardless of how sharp the sword
is.

I can also appreciate your views on your swords.  Indeed when they're on the
wall they are art.  When they are at your side they are a part of your
clothing and accessories.  When they are in your hand they are a part of
your body and your soul.  Personally I feel there is something spiritual
about swords and swordplay.  Not just katana which are my personal favorites
but in all swords.

Yoshimoto